How to sing the Blues
(by Lame Mango Washington - attributed to Memphis Earlene Gray with help from Uncle Plunky, revisions by Little Blind Patti D. and Dr. Stevie Franklin)
(Quelle: Frank Sikora, Neue Jazz-Harmonielehre, Schott, ISBN 3-7957-5124-1)
- Most Blues begin: "Woke up this morning".
- "I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the Blues, 'less you stick something nasty in the next line, like "I got a good woman, with the meanest face in town."
- The Blues is simple. After you get the first line right, repeat it. Then find something that rhymes ... sort of: "Got a good woman - with the meanest face in town. Got teeth like Margaret Thatcher - and she weigh 500 pound."
- The Blues are not about choice.
You stuck in a ditch, you stuck in a ditch - ain't no way out.
- Blues cars: Chevys, Cadillacs and broken-down trucks. Blues don't travel in Volvos. BMWs or Sport Utility Vehicles. Most Blues transportation is a Greyhound bus or a southbound train. Jet aircrafts an' state-sponsored motor pools ain't even in the running. Walkin' plays a major part in the Blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die.
- Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.
- Blues can take place in New York City but not in Hawaii or any place in Canada. Hard times in St. Paul or Tucson is just depression. Chicago, St. Louis and Kansas City are still the best places to have the Blues. You cannot have the Blues in any place that don't get rain.
- A man with male pattern baldness ain't the Blues. A woman with male pattern baldness is. Breakin' your leg cuz you skiing is not the Blues. Breakin' your leg cuz an alligator be chomping on it is.
- You can't have no Blues in an office or a shopping mall. The lighting is wrong. Go outside to the parking lot or sit by the dumpster.
- Good places for the Blues:
c) empty bed
d) bottom of a whiskey glass
- Bad places:
b) gallery openings
c) Ivy League institutions
d) golf courses
- No one will believe it's the Blues if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old ethnic person, and you slept in it.
- Do you have the right to sing the Blues?
a) you're older than dirt
b) you're blind
c) you shot a man in Memphis
d) you can't be satisfied
a) you have all your teeth
b) you were once blind but now you can see
c) the man in Memphis lived
d) you have a retirement plan or trust fund
- Blues is not a matter of color. It's a matter of bad luck. Tiger Woods can't sing the Blues. Gary Coleman could. Ugly white people also got a leg up on the Blues.
- If you ask for water and Baby give you gasoline, it's the Blues.
Other acceptable Blues beverages:
b) whiskey or bourbon
c) muddy water
d) black coffee
- The following are not Blues beverages:
a) mixed drinks
b) kosher wine
d) sparkling water
- If it occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's a Blues death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is another Blues way to die. So is the electric chair, substance abuse and dying lonely on a broken-down cot. You can't have a Blues death if you die during a tennis match or getting liposuction.
- Some Blues names for women:
b) Big Mama
d) Fat River Dumpling
- Some Blues names for men:
c) Litlle Willie
d) Big Willie
- Persons with names like Sierra, Sequoia, Auburn and Rainbow can't sing the Blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.
- Make your own Blues name (starter kit):
a) name of physical infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Lame etc.)
b) first name (see above) plus name of fruit (Lemon, Lime, Kiwi etc.)
c) last name of president (Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore etc.)
For example: Blind Lime Jefferson or Cripple Kiwi Fillmore etc. (well - maybe not Kiwi).
- I don't care how tragic your life - you own a Computer, you can't sing the Blues.
You best destroy it.
Fire, a spilled bottle of Mad Dog, or get out a shotgun - I don't care.